[Nix-dev] [***SPAM***] Re: Nixpkgs and NixOS moved to GitHub

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viric at viric.name
Thu Jun 21 23:40:46 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 01:39:04AM +0400, Michael Raskin wrote:
> >> Noticeable part of major feature proposals get neither positive nor
> >> negative review and get buried by inaction before the next person who
> >> could benefit of the proposed changes appears.
> >
> >That's bad, but the alternative can't be to just let everybody potentially poor
> >quality changes just because nobody commented on them.
>
> Well, given that even controversial changes are usually local, and
> when there is discussion it sometimes leads to the decisions strictly
> worse than any of the initial options (like in the case with the
> parallel builds), and the most annoying problems come from the seemingly
> most benign updates, and there is already more work in simply updating
> the packages we have than we have resources to do - the alternative you
> name seems better than "everything via pull requests".

Heavy nihilism. :)

We can try different approaches for a few days. Let's see how it goes,
complaints come, etc.

For example, I find it cumbersome to put my changes in a pull request; maybe I
do it wrong, but to update gdb (after I have my github fork):
- I checkout to a new branch, gdbupdate.
- I commit my change there.
- I push my new branch to my fork
- I go to the website, find my branch with the very fast and clean interface of
  github (ehem)
- Click on pull request

After some hours, someone accepted my request, then:
- I fetch from NixOS/nixpkgs
- I pull from its master into my master
- I push to my own github fork
- I remove my 'gdbupdate' branch: git push ... --delete

've not been wanting to do a new change while the gdb version update was not
accepted, but if I wanted to do a new change, should I make it into another
branch from master, or from my 'gdbupdate' branch? Or I should start using
topgit or things like those, to get all together?

Regards,
Lluís.