[Nix-dev] Nixpkgs and NixOS moved to GitHub

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Thu Jun 21 06:51:32 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I've completed the migration of Nixpkgs and NixOS to GitHub.  This means that
the reposities

  https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs

and

  https://github.com/NixOS/nixos

are now the "official" Nixpkgs and NixOS repositories, respectively.  I've set a
pre-commit hook in the Subversion repository to block commits to the old
Nixpkgs/NixOS trees.

Please use GitHub's integrated bug tracker.  It has the advantage that you can
refer to or close issues from commit messages (e.g. a message containing the
string "Fixes #21." will automatically close issue #21).

The main issue that we still need to decide on is a workflow / access policy
(see e.g. http://git-scm.com/book/ch5-1.html).  Input welcome.  The two main
alternatives are:

- A centralised workflow where people commit directly into the master.  This is
basically what we did with Subversion.  The downside is a lack of review.

- A decentralised workflow where people have (public) forks and submit pull
requests to have changes merged into the master.  Here the downside is the
overhead of having to do a pull request.

A hybrid policy is of course also possible.  I.e. uncontroversial changes (such
as minor package upgrades in Nixpkgs) can go directly into the master, while
other things should be done in a branch and submitted for review.  This of
course depends on people exercising good judgment :-)

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://www.st.ewi.tudelft.nl/~dolstra/