[Nix-dev] NixOS channel

Kirill Elagin kirelagin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 17:51:48 CEST 2012

2012/6/19 Kevin Quick <quick at sparq.org>

> Very interesting information regarding the channels.  Can you give some
> additional advice on how this relates to existing /etc/nixos/* checkouts?

As I understand it, all utilities will use channels by default but for
backward compatibility, in case there are no channel subscriptions, there
are pointers to /etc/nixos/* in $NIX_PATH so everything will fall back to
using those old locations.

* I currently have local packages in ~/.nix-defexpr.  Specifically I have:

>     ~/.nix-defexpr/localnix:
>           {}:
>           let
>             stdpkgs = import
> /etc/nixos/nixpkgs/pkgs/top-level/all-packages.nix{};
>             mypkgs = builtins.getEnv "HOME" + "/my_nixexprs";
>           in
>             import mypkgs { inherit stdpkgs };
>
>   I can then populate personal packages in the mypkgs tree and they are
> smoothly integrated for nix-env.  Is it still possible to do this somehow
> with the channel setup?

See [this recent discussion][1].
By the way, I guess, you'd rather be using ``packageOverrides`` in
/.nixpkgs/config.nix instead of your localnix expression.

  * Can you --add multiple channels?

Sure.

>   * Can multiple channels cross-reference packages?  Total
> cross-referencing or backward-only?

Doesn't seem to be a good idea anyway…

>   * How are conflicts resolved with multiple channels?

If you use package names, then the best match will be determined as always,
I guess. You should use -A option to distinguish different sources.

[1]: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.nixos/8834

--
Кирилл Елагин