[Nix-dev] gimp 2.8

Cillian de Róiste cillian.deroiste at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 13:31:29 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Rok Garbas <rok at garbas.si> wrote:
> Quoting Cillian de Róiste (2012-06-04 19:52:40)
>>Committed, cheers!
>>

> would be ok if you rename gimp_2_8_0 into gimp28 or gimp_28. kinda doesn't make
> sense to keep bugfix part of version number. at least thats how i see others
> did it in all-packages.nix.

Thanks for pointing that out, it makes sense. I believe gimp_2_8 is
the preferred variant, although as you say, there are plenty of
examples without any underscores.

> you can also safely update babl and gegl (no need for gegl_0_2_0 and
> babl_0_1_10) its only used by cinepaint which i checked and it working with
> updated versions.

I don't use GIMP regularly myself so I'm inclined to let the 2.8
version sit there for a while before making it the default, and I'd
also keep 2.6 available at least until the plugins have been updated.
Does the 2.6 version also work with the new gegl and babl?

I'm not exactly sure of the workflow we'll be using with github, but I
guess you can submit pull requests there and we can continue the
discussion there as comments on the pull request (if we need to), and
then someone in the NixOS org can accept that pull request. I am quite
interested to see how that works out. Perhaps you have some advice
from your experience with the plone collective -> github migration ..
but that's another topic.

Cheers,
Cillian