[Nix-dev] new font ttf-bitstream-vera-for-powerline

Pablo Costa modulistic at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 14:56:36 CEST 2012

Hello!

There are many fonts licensed as free software which I think can be
distributed with no fear for patent/license issues. The DejaVu font
family [1] is one example.

The original post from Rok is about Bitstream Vera, on which the
DejaVu font family is based. The DejaVu license [2] explains the
redistribution and derivation terms; Basically the font can be altered
and redistributed freely as long as it is not referred to as
"Bitstream Vera" anymore (and in the case of DejaVu the name "Arev" is
also forbidden).

Perhaps the best move would be to patch DejaVu. I don't know the
nature of the changes, but if they can be useful for the font itself,
[1] explains (comparing to Bitstream Vera) that:

"The DejaVu fonts project was started with the aim to "provide a wider
range of characters... while maintaining the original look and feel
through the process of collaborative development". The development of
the fonts is done by many contributors, and is organized through a
wiki and a mailing list."

Cheers,
Pablo

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DejaVu_fonts