[Nix-dev] [Nix-commits] [NixOS/nixpkgs] c6a2a1: ffmpeg: Update to latest version 0.11.1.

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Tue Jul 24 19:20:29 CEST 2012

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 12:48:59 -0400, Eelco Dolstra <eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com> wrote:
> > Most importantly, I really dislike having several almost identical
> > expressions in the repository. Those for ffmpeg should IMO only differ
> > in some 2-5 lines and the rest is common, so I would prefer to solve
> > such situations similarly like I did, by conditioning.
>
> Well, that often actually makes it harder to manage, because if you (say) add a
> new version, you have to think very carefully if this won't break the old
> versions.  If the old versions are separate expressions, you don't have this
> problem.  It's also harder to read the expression because it's cluttered with
> "if version == ... then ..." clauses.

I understand the wish for having it in one expression and keep
duplication low. But I think the expressions should be as simple as
possible and, as Eelco says, with the possibility to change them
independently.

I think generating expressions is a better solution to target
duplication than having expressions deal with different versions. This
is already done for at least xorg and haskellPackages.

regards
florian
--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC