[Nix-dev] Umlauts in NixOS

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viric at viric.name
Wed Jul 11 11:18:15 CEST 2012

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 10:56:49AM +0200, Alexander Foremny wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am struggling with a few minor issues in NixOS and finally want to
> ask how to solve them. My problem is that German umlauts are not fully
> working.
>
> I can type umlauts in X11 applications and they get displayed
> correctly. I cannot type umlauts in X11 terminal applications and they
> don't get displayed correctly. The same applies to the console.
>
> I am using xterm as terminal application and zsh as user shell. Here
> is some output I consider relevant to this issue.

You have to tell xterm you want an utf8 terminal.

I have in ~/.Xdefaults:
XTerm*font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--14-130-75-75-c-70-iso10646-1
XTerm*utf8: true

(the defaults are loaded on the X session start; use xrdb to load them at will)

There are command line parameters for xterm for those, too.

Regards,
Lluís.