[Nix-dev] Umlauts in NixOS

Alexander Foremny alexanderforemny at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 10:56:49 CEST 2012

Hello,

I am struggling with a few minor issues in NixOS and finally want to
ask how to solve them. My problem is that German umlauts are not fully
working.

I can type umlauts in X11 applications and they get displayed
correctly. I cannot type umlauts in X11 terminal applications and they
don't get displayed correctly. The same applies to the console.

I am using xterm as terminal application and zsh as user shell. Here
is some output I consider relevant to this issue.

> $ cat /etc/nixos/configuration.nix | grep -A 8 i18n
>  i18n = {
>    consoleFont = "lat9w-16";
>    consoleKeyMap = "de-latin1-nodeadkeys";
>    defaultLocale = "de_DE.UTF-8";
>    supportedLocales = [ "de_DE.UTF-8" "en_US.UTF-8" ];
>  };

> $ locale
> LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
> [...]
> LC_ALL=de_DE.UTF-8

> $ echo $LANGUAGE
> de:en

Any hints on what's wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Alexander Foremny