[Nix-dev] Firefox 13 issue

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 12:03:49 CEST 2012

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 1:38 AM, Lluís Batlle i Rossell <viric at viric.name> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 07, 2012 at 05:59:45PM -0700, Nicolas Pierron wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 1:56 AM, Lluís Batlle i Rossell
>> > I confirm it's patchelf. An unpatched plugin-container, with a LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
>> > works fine. But xpcshell gets killed with and without patchelf.
>>
>> Have you tried to configure firefox with --disable-elf-hack and
>> potentially --disable-elf-dynstr-gc?
>
> No, I did not try anything like that. But patchelf should not break any ELF, I
> think, regardless of how is it prepared.
>
> For another kind of work, I want to profile firefox with symbols, and I totally
> fail although I add "--enable-profiling", "--disable-elf-hack", ... all appears
> in 'perf' as without relevant symbols. I'll try this --disable-elf-dynstr-gc
> too.

The flag --enable-profiling enables the Firefox profiler (as opposed
as -pgo or what so ever) which is a sampling profiler used to detect
what firefox is doing when an event is queued.  AFAIK it is not
complete and it needs JIT integration to be able to report Javascript
frames as well.

You might want to try --disable-strip to keep the symbols.

--
Nicolas Pierron
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolasbpierron - http://nbp.name/