[Nix-dev] emacs24 won't compile on Darwin (was: Updating emacs-snapshot package)

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Sat Jan 21 21:59:39 CET 2012

Hi guys,

Emacs24 won't compile on Darwin because its dependencies cannot be
built -- most notably the packages ghostscript and nettle. I saw the
error messages on Hydra, but I can figure out how to fix them. Could
someone with access to Darwin please take a look at this issue?

Florian wrote:

 > I added support for libxml, imagemagick and gnutls. We have an
 > imagemagickBig in nixpkgs with support for tetex and librsvg - should
 > we use that instead?

Emacs 24.x is probably going to be used by a narrow audience, i.e.
people who want to test the editor's new capabilities. For that
particular crowd, it seems fine to enable the maximum amount of
features. When Emacs 24.x becomes some kind of production tool, however,
the default version of it should be one that is less demanding. Emacs is
used by other expression to byte-compile a single .el file, and we don't
want those to require LaTeX, libsvg, and ImageMagick just to do that.

 > Gconf is generally disabled as for emacs23. Do we want gconf support?

Hell, no!!! :-)

Take care,
Peter