[Nix-dev] Making stdenv/setup.sh more verbose

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Fri Jan 20 13:47:47 CET 2012

Hi,

On 20/01/12 07:01, Michael Raskin wrote:

>> Review the attached patch, please.
>
> Looks like a strict improvement..

I disagree.  What useful information do most of these communicate?  E.g. if a
mkdir succeeds, why do I have to be informed about it?  It's only interesting if
it fails.

Rob actually just suggested to make the unpackPhase less verbose, i.e. drop the
"-v" flag in "tar" and "cp".  But maybe that should be optional.

>> +    mkdir -pv $out/bin
>> +    cp -v "$@" $out/bin

This actually made me wonder why we have an "installBin" function in stdenv.  It
doesn't appear to be used anywhere in Nixpkgs...