[Nix-dev] Package: tabbed

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viric at viric.name
Thu Jan 5 09:58:48 CET 2012

On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 01:49:19AM +0100, Alexander Foremny wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am trying to create a package for tabbed [1] and I am wondering how to
> handle configuration. To the best of my knowledge tabbed can solely be
> configured by editing `config.h.def' prior to compilation. I thought it
> would be nice to expose all of the configuration to Nix and I started to
> create a package which does that.
>
> Essentially I recreate the default configuration from a attribute set which
> could be changed using Nix. See default.nix and
> tabbedconfig-for-default.nix below.

I find that your approach quite cumbersome. I prefer the 'dwm' approach, where
it has a parameter attribute 'patches'. Users can supply their multiple patches
that way.

That's a slightly harder process for a user, but it may last multiple tabbed
versions. For dwm, since early vesions to 6.0 I only had to change my patch
twice. Yesterday was one of the times, between 5.9 and 6.0.

Regards,
Lluís.