[Nix-dev] emacs load-path (was: Re: notmuch fails to configure)

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Tue Jan 3 22:07:31 CET 2012

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 10:29:50 +0100, Ambrus Kaposi <kaposi.ambrus at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Proposed solution:
> > patch of compile time load path (epaths.h) for all emacsen included in
> > nixos.
> >
> > If consensus, I'd create and include the necessary patches.
>
> Another solution would be to create a wrapper for emacs and set EMACSLOADPATH.
> This way we could use $NIX_PROFILES instead of your proposed
> hard-coded 3 folders (~/.nix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp,
> /nix/var/nix/profiles/default/share/emacs/site-lisp/,
> /nix/var/nix/profiles/system/sw/share/emacs/site-lisp/).
> I don't know which approach is better/cleaner. What do you think?
>
> I'm glad that you are investigating this problem because I'm using
> emacs daily on nixos and had to put everything into ~/.emacs by hand.

This is finally fixed via site-start.el. load-path is set from the
directories in NIX_PROFILES. I tried EMACSLOADPATH first, but it becomes
an exclusive list, while the current approach is additive.

--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC