[Nix-dev] xsane backend snapshots

Mathijs Kwik mathijs at bluescreen303.nl
Thu Dec 6 15:29:17 CET 2012

I think it depends on the usecase, but for most local hardware, there is a
strong trend towards using consolekit/systemd-logind, which I think is good.

If I'm not the logged-in user (so connecting remotely), why should I be
able to use the audio on the machine or access plugged-in usb devices? Same
is probably true for (local, non-network) scanning. If I'm not present, how
can I place the sheet to scan in the device? :)
If a device is meant to be used by multiple people, there usually is some
daemon/service (pulseaudio, samba, saned) that manages this, so no need for
users to access devices directly.