[Nix-dev] How do I rebuild the NixOS install CD for my non-PAE-supporting CPU?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Mon Jun 20 11:27:03 CEST 2011

Excerpts from Albin Stjerna's message of Mon Jun 20 10:59:16 +0200 2011:
> My first attempt att bypassing this problem was installing NixOS on a
> virtual machine and building a custom installer CD, but I (or rather
> grep) couldn't find any file mentioning pae in the configuration
> directory for NixOS. What am I missing and how should I proceed?

pae is a kernel setting.

You want to try something like this:

kernelPackages = pkgs.linuxPackages_2_6_39.override {
  extraConfig=''
    Switch pae off using a kernel config file - eventually this works:
    CONFIG_X86_PAE n
  '';
};

this will recompile the kernel and add that line to its configuration
line.

pick your favorite kernel insteaf of  2_6_39.

Building installer cds is done by nix-build -A install_cd relaes.nix (in
nixos repo) or such.

However installing using VM should be fine.

Marc Weber