[Nix-dev] texlive-core corrupts manpath

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 16:12:36 CEST 2011

Hi.

On 7 July 2011 14:21, Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> wrote:
> This issue also popped up on irc some weeks ago.
The issue has been there for a long time, we discussed it on this
mailing-list more than a year ago. Marc's change is a quick fix and it
should be in the trunk.

I looked at the texlive expression at that time (over a year ago) and
it seemed very incomprehensible to me (I had little experience at that
time). I still think it really needs some cleanup and upgrade to 2010
and more importantly automatic plugging of additional tex packages
installed (currently you have to create an expression, see the comment
in all-packages.nix). I might fix it some day as I often use latex,
but this is going to be quite time consuming refactoring (anyone's
invited to do it).

In fact, there are many more interesting updates from Marc's branches
- I've seen several and I believe that all of them should be in the
official trunk. I and Marc don't really care as we use them anyway,
but it seems sad that this leads to effort duplication. I personally
don't know what the disagreements were about so I don't think I can
solve it.

But one thing I'm certain of - something like topgit would really help
there as it is helping me and Marc. When there's a disagreement about
some feature, those that want it are able to easily use a branch
applying the patches, all without affecting those that don't want
them. Since the nixpkgs/nixos code is quite modular, it is easily
manageable (as long as there aren't more disagreements than
agreements). Using the SVN centralized model really makes it more
difficult for people using these extra features to contribute into the
"official" trunk. As I've seen it is very hard to always agree on
everything.

Vlada