[Nix-dev] fixing ghc-pkg update

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Tue Jan 11 12:05:40 CET 2011

Excerpts from roconnor's message of Mon Jan 10 15:29:52 +0100 2011:
> So ultimately my question is, should we investgate hacking ghc-pkg to allow
> users to install software depending on nix-managage pacakges, or do we want
> that to be disallowed for some reason?
I intentionally delayed this email to see how much interest is out
there.

Why ? For what reasons? I told you how you can get "your job done". I
personally do no longer want to spend time on work I don't understand
why its necessary. I kept a cabal patch in the past (making
GHC_PACKAGE_PATH) work - however it was a pain to keep it up to date.
So I dropped it (because Andres Loeh chose to not use this env var
anyway when doing all the work on ghc etc).

The attempt of using both: nix-env installed dependencies and ask cabal
to build packages on top of it looks like a nightmare to me. That was
one of the reasons me switching to Nix.

So try to explain why this way is better than hack-nix - or wait for
someone else to help you - or patch it yourself. Its not that hard -
however it requires taking some time :)

Anyway its my view only. Its ok if yours is different.

Let me know if I can help you getting started with hack-nix - which
should solve your troubles.

good luck
Marc Weber