[Nix-dev] fixing ghc-pkg update

roconnor at theorem.ca roconnor at theorem.ca
Mon Jan 10 15:29:52 CET 2011

It turns out that this bug is won't fix:  See
<http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/4884#comment:2>

I was afraid of this.  This means that the ghc-pkg wrapper doesn't really work
in NixOS.

Or, is this specifically the way that NixOS is designed?

Am I not supposed to be doing user installs of software that depend on nix
installs of software, because without nixos tracking the softare, the
dependencies could get uninstalled and garbage collected, breaking the user
installed software.  Is this specifically disallowed?

Are users expected to write nix expressions for all the local software they
wish to install?

Arguably the same problems noted above apply to Ubuntu.  When apt is managing a
haskell package, then user installed packages will break when an apt managed
haskell package is upgraded or deleted.  But then again, maybe we are aiming to
do better than apt here?

How does this compare to building C programs?  I can locally build C programs
depending on nix-managed dependences.  So these programs will break if nix
updates or deletes dependencies.  OTOH there is really no signifigant "install"
step for C programs.  Arguable I can build Haskell programs just like C
programs.  I just can't user install Haskell programs using cabal.

So ultimately my question is, should we investgate hacking ghc-pkg to allow
users to install software depending on nix-managage pacakges, or do we want
that to be disallowed for some reason?