[Nix-dev] transition to pure system

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Tue Jan 4 14:41:07 CET 2011

Hi,

I'm still recovering from my move to nixos. I know at some point I want
to have a pure system, but until then there is work to do.

Currently one buildout managed project fails to build openldap and
another python project cannot import lxml because it cannot find
libxslt.so.1.

While it would be the sanest approach to teach these projects to use
openldap and lxml from some profile, there will be other projects that
fail for other reasons. Instead of being stuck then and need to fix them
right away, I'd rather turn my nixos non-pure and have some profile
linked as /usr together with a set of environment variables to make
projects happy that don't appreciate the concept of running on a pure
nixos, yet.

Is somewhere documented what needs to be done in order to have one
profile serve as /usr, apart from just linking it.

Very greatful for any pointers.

My priorities:
- get productive again
- get work done
- target one non-pure thing after another

best regards
florian

--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC