[Nix-dev] python and nixos

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Sun Jan 2 19:29:16 CET 2011

On Sun, Jan 02, 2011 at 06:56:31PM +0100, Nicolas Pierron wrote:
> Hi Florian,
>
> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 18:18, Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net> wrote:
> > Is guppy broken or how can I get python environments that support
> > zc.buildout managed projects?
> >
> > buildout fails to build guppy:
> > http://pastie.org/1423663
>
> The error you reported seems to be related to the nix expression which
> build guppy.  So you should look inside it.  Unfortunately, I can't
> help you much with python dependencies.  You can be sure that all you
> need to modify is in the nix expression used to build guppy or in its
> dependencies.

It is not built by nix, but installed by buildout into an isolated
buildout managed project.

I now solved the problem:
LDFLAGS="-L/nix/var/nix/profiles/system/sw/lib" ./bin/buildout -vn

To my understanding the project managed by buildout is now impure, as it
is not fixed to a specific profile generation. On the other hand I
currently don't have any means to rerun all my buildouts for every new
profile generation, which means I need to live with it for now.

Is it dangerous to put that LDFLAGS setting as a globally set
environment variable or is nix taking care to clean the environment of
harmful variables for compilation of nix packages?

> Based on such statement, ...
>
> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 18:18, Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net> wrote:
> > In /etc/nixos/configuration.nix:
> >
> > environment = {
> >  systemPackages = {
> >    pkgs.python24
> >    pkgs.python26Full
> >    pkgs.python27Full
> >  };
> > };
>
> There is no point at modifying your system configuration unless you
> have introduced impurities by linking paths such as /bin and /usr.

I understood that everything in systemPackages will be updated during
nixos-rebuild and managed as part of the system profile. I currently do
quick installs as a user in my user profile and move some of it
occasionally to the system profile.

But, I'm happy to learn better/other approaches.

> > full configuration here:
> > https://github.com/chaoflow/nixos-configurations/blob/master/chaoflow-lenovo-x200s.nix
>
> Thanks to share your configuration with others.  I appreciate that.
> When you'll have time, I suggest you to separate your configuration
> from lenovo-x200s computers.  This would factor
> work between persons who have similar hardwares ;)  (even if that's
> not a lot of folks yet)

will happen as soon as it matured a bit

> If you are looking for hints on how to do that, you can look at my
> computer configuration and my personal laptop configuration:
> http://wiki.nixos.org/wiki/ASUS_M60J-JX041V
> https://svn.nixos.org/repos/nix/configurations/trunk/misc/nicolas.b.pierron/vinon.nix

thank you very much!

--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC