emacs load-path (was: Re: [Nix-dev] notmuch fails to configure)

Ambrus Kaposi kaposi.ambrus at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 10:29:50 CET 2011

> Proposed solution:
> patch of compile time load path (epaths.h) for all emacsen included in
> nixos.
>
> If consensus, I'd create and include the necessary patches.

Another solution would be to create a wrapper for emacs and set EMACSLOADPATH.
This way we could use $NIX_PROFILES instead of your proposed
hard-coded 3 folders (~/.nix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp,
/nix/var/nix/profiles/default/share/emacs/site-lisp/,
/nix/var/nix/profiles/system/sw/share/emacs/site-lisp/).
I don't know which approach is better/cleaner. What do you think?

I'm glad that you are investigating this problem because I'm using
emacs daily on nixos and had to put everything into ~/.emacs by hand.

Thanks,
Ambrus