[Nix-dev] general question

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sun Feb 6 20:59:09 CET 2011

Excerpts from Roelof Wobben's message of Sun Feb 06 18:52:33 +0000 2011:
> So I will need a lot of help regarding how Nix works and how to write build scripts.
I'm pretty sure that the list will help you in many ways.
I'm unable to judge the amount of effort it takes. I don't even know
how many packages make up 'gnome' desktop.

So maybe its even an option for you to install a debian chroot and start
the desktop from the chroot (debian).

Also you could use nix on a debian system to get started.

You already have a machine which support virtualizing.
So you can even run nixos within that and connect to your X server using
the internal network.

I don't think that you really depend on gnome *run by NixOS* to get
started.

So maybe skip gnome and export DISPLAY accordingly?

yours
Marc Weber