[Nix-dev] Re: WIKI question misc.collection, multiple ghc in PATH, "bit of problem",

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Tue Aug 23 19:29:54 CEST 2011

Hi Marc,

 > So if you want to fix it change the implementation and commit. I'll
 > be fine with that.

personally, I am not particularly happy about that Wiki page.

The title promises to explain "How to keep multiple packages up to date
at once". The mechanism of choice for that task is a nix-env profile,
which can be updated with "nix-env -u \*". However, the article doesn't
even mention that mechanism. Instead, it directs users to an alternative
mechanism -- collections --, which is kind of interesting, too, and it's
certainly worth being discussed, but it should be discussed in the
context of profiles, i.e. the page should address the respective
advantages and disadvantages, etc. As it is now, it doesn't do that, so
I believe the contents of this page does more harm than good to new
users.

The claim that collections are the way users ought to choose to keep
multiple packages up-to-date is certainly misleading.

Take care,
Peter