[Nix-dev] Xfce progress

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at matfyz.cz
Fri May 28 21:30:24 CEST 2010

Hello Nixers,
I'm slowly working on Nix expressions for Xfce. It is probably of no
use yet (mostly libraries), but I'm sending the patch anyway for two
reasons. First to avoid duplication effort, so otherr know I've done
some work on it.

Second to ask, whether the used call-style is acceptable (for my
code), before the expressions grow too large to be easily rewritten. I
know the redundancy in calling has already been discussed and I don't
expect you to accept it. The idea is that in simple packages the
buildInputs consist just of rewriting the function parameters that
aren't used anywhere else, so I don't see why not to pass it as an
argument directly. The first argument then only contains packages and
settings that need to be addressed directly. An example:

# expression
{ stdenv, fetchurl }:
buildInputs:

stdenv.mkDerivation......
  inherit buildInputs;

# composition
import .....
  { inherit stdenv fetchurl; }
  [ gtk glib
  ];

I don't have much time now, but I'm going to gradually expand Xfce
support and maintain it for a couple of months at least (it doesn't
matter whether the style is accepted or I have to rewrite the
expressions).

Thanks to everyone for the work already done.
Neznalek