[Nix-dev] Simple build tool for scala.

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sat May 8 20:44:07 CEST 2010

Hi David,

I know. Look at what I wrote about Eclipse and plugin depndency
managament.

If you do Java, Scala, Ruby developent you may want to open one file to
see what has been packaged.

This is faster if you have something like "gitAndTools" which contains:
maven1, mavern2, ivy, and the simplebuildtool along with ant, ..

At leasts it helps me.

Excerpts from David Brown's message of Sat May 08 20:19:12 +0200 2010:
> On Sat, May 08, 2010 at 08:06:34PM +0200, Marc Weber wrote:
>
> >Just wondered whether we should start kind of Scala namespace.
> >I think there will be more scala packages over time.
>
> The thing is that most Scala and even Java packages use something like
> either SBT, Maven or Ivy to do their own dependency management.  It's
> kind of unfortunate that the Java community has had to develop their
> own dependency management systems.

You're totally right.
Still nix could be used to share those "items" which are pulled and
stored in ~/.m2 or ~/.eclipse/eclipse-location/ usually or such.

In the long run we could patch those tools to use put the deps in store.
and add them to class path. But maybe they would be garbage collected.
So the ivy, mvn, .. tools had to register those paths as gcroot.

At least that's what I think would be best.

Duplicating the dependency hell.. ?

It can be done. I did it for Haskell (-> hack-nix). Yet it doesn't solve
all problems.

Marc Weber