[Nix-dev] Simple build tool for scala.

David Brown nix at davidb.org
Sat May 8 20:19:12 CEST 2010

On Sat, May 08, 2010 at 08:06:34PM +0200, Marc Weber wrote:

>Just wondered whether we should start kind of Scala namespace.
>I think there will be more scala packages over time.

The thing is that most Scala and even Java packages use something like
either SBT, Maven or Ivy to do their own dependency management.  It's
kind of unfortunate that the Java community has had to develop their
own dependency management systems.  It's probably a consequence of so
much development happening under Windows.

The things I see being most useful as Nix packages are the
build/dependency tools (SBT, Maven, and Ant), and then any java-based
programs that can be run stand-alone.

Trying to get Maven/Ivy and Nix to cooperate would be a lot more work.
I guess it's similar to Ruby gems.

David