[Nix-dev] comet Visit reports

germsteel germsteel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 03:09:06 CEST 2010

Hello Nixers!

I visit NixOS annually to see the progress (like a comet?).  This is my 2.5
year visit.

NixOS Visit Report
============
Visit 1:
VirtualBox install under OS X fails
VirtualBox install under Ubuntu Intrepid success!
Competitive landscape: Haiku r1 works great right out of the box.
+s Great helpful community
-s tedious to set up
time invested: 5 days??  No it can't be.

Visit 2:
VirtualBox install under Ubuntu Intrepid fails!
Tedious configuration.nix editing incantations; reading mail archives, NixOS
docs (nice logo)
Competitive landscape: Haiku R2 update slower than R1.
time invested: 12 hours??  No it can't be.

Visit 2.5
NixOS pre22737 VirtualBox install under OS X success! Intel E2200 disable VB
VT-X enable PAE
+Very nice liveCD the desktop looks very slick (slim)!
+ Installs yay!
+ Community remains small but incredibly helpful
-  Installed NixOS lacks window manager
-  Installed NixOS should come up looking like LiveCD
-  Still highly tedious setup
-  VirtualBox additions where?
-  way too much reading of manual, and mainly mail archives
Competitive landscape: OpenSolaris 2010.03 crawls on budget hardware. don't
bother.  Pretty nice on even 10 year old server hardware though.
time invested: 8 hours?  Still spendy willing to visit again though.

Keep up the good work; looking forward to Visit 3

Cheers,

G. Steel