[Nix-dev] Hello, Nix project

Magdalena Bugajska magda at aic.nrl.navy.mil
Sat Jul 24 01:59:32 CEST 2010

I wanted to set up my own collection of packages made up of things
I've been working on, but all the directions point to setting up a
package within the nixpkgs collection which didn't really make much
sense to me.  Is there really supposed to be one tree?  Or can
somebody point me to a simple project that shows a basic configuration
of nix files for deployment of a collection of just couple packages?
The all-packages.nix from nixpkgs is slightly on the the confusing side.

Is it possible to have the separate package collection to use fetchurl
and stdenv functions from nixpkgs?  The best I can figure out, I would
have to copy the relevant functions calls and definitions and the
builders into my own collection, i.e. redefine them in my own
namespace.  But in case of more substantial libraries or compilers
wouldn't that result in installing the package multiple times once for
each collection/namespace?  I must be missing something ...

I've also been looking for examples of channel setup and a farm, but I
don't think I'm ready for those.

Appreciate any the help.

-- Magda