[Nix-dev] Stuck on "Install NixOS on Linode" - bootstrap archives download

Daniel Clark dclark at pobox.com
Sun Jul 4 01:12:15 CEST 2010

2010/7/3 Lluís Batlle i Rossell <viriketo at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 05:55:55PM -0400, Daniel Clark wrote:
>> Hmm, either I'm blind or that is due to recent changes. Could easily
>> be the former. In any case, thanks, and I updated the wiki page at
>> http://wiki.nixos.org/wiki/Install_NixOS_on_Linode
> I updated the kind of link - take a look.
>
> You can usually take the URL shown in the job's "Latest builds" page,
> and use them as the base as for any build number.

Cool - I did another update as the stated Finnix method wouldn't work
with x86_64.

Currently trying to run bootstrap instructions, and getting:

li127-226:/mnt# cat /mnt/etc/nixos/configuration.nix
boot.loader.initScript.enable = true;

networking = {
  useDHCP = true;
};

li127-226:/mnt# bash /mnt/nix/store/nixos-prepare-install
INFO:  /mnt/README-BOOTSTRAP-NIXOS found, assuming your're
bootstrapping from an archive. Nix files should be in place
INFO:  registering bootstrapping store paths as valid so that they
won't be rebuild
INFO:  you can't start because /mnt/etc/nixos/configuration.nix is missing
INFO:  you can't start because /mnt/etc/nixos/nixpkgs is missing
INFO:  you can't start because /mnt/etc/nixos/configuration.nix is missing

li127-226:/mnt# ls /mnt/etc/nixos/nixpkgs
ls: cannot access /mnt/etc/nixos/nixpkgs: No such file or directory

So there seem to be 2 problems - the nixos-prepare-install script
isn't seeing that configuration.nix exists, and perhaps I need to go
download nixpkgs to put in the specified path (and doc that). Still
playing around, but also posting as I'm guessing people who know a lot
about NixOS may be able to suggest the fix pretty effortlessly :)

(This is from latest nixos-install-archive.tar.bz2 as of today -
md5sum of a914511741a48e7e65c81a90fbc4e336 - IMHO a "VERSION" or
"BUILD" file along with the "README-BOOTSTRAP-NIXOS" file might be
useful.)

--
        \|/      Daniel JB Clark | Activist; Owner
FREEDOM -+-> INCLUDED ~ http://freedomincluded.com