[Nix-dev] glibc 2.12 update in ‘stdenv-updates’

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Mon Aug 23 00:38:16 CEST 2010

Hello!

Lluís Batlle i Rossell <viriketo at gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 03:26:51PM +0000, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Author: ludo
>> Date: Fri Aug 20 15:26:50 2010
>> New Revision: 23282
>>
>> Log:
>> glibc 2.12.1.
>
> Setting the glibc 2.12 as default involved lots of fixing (I
> made stdenv-linux work for x86_64; quite a big effort), but
> removing the 2.11 files left stdenv-updates not working on arm and mips.
> I don't think they will work again until Mr. upstream decides to publish the glibc-ports 2.12.1.
> glibc-ports.git has already a tag for that since two weeks ago, but I can't see
> a tarball around anywhere.
>
> I understand breaking a branch updating compells to fix things with urgency,
> but.. did we have any urgency? :)
>
> In git-svn I'm using a branch previous to your commits for arm/mips tests.
> I'd have preferred still having the glibc-2.11 files there, and some 'if'
> setting one glibc or the other at convenience for the platform.
> Now I may work more 'in hiding'.

Actually, I was confident upgrading glibc would break things, but that
most of them could be quickly fixed (sorry I haven’t been fixing it
myself!).  I thought we could still reinstate 2.11 if we ever needed it,
and hoped we would not need it.

As for the glibc-ports, we should just really ping the ports mailing
list.  Someone is supposed to take care of it.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your work fixing all this!

Ludo’.