[Nix-dev] Re: Re: fetch<dvcs> - optimization via local mirroring.

Rob Vermaas rob.vermaas at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 07:16:39 CEST 2010

Hi,

>> BTW, current nix-prefetch-git is MUCH more clever than fetchgit. As a
> >> result, they produce different results ;).
> >
> > I'd call that a bug..
> It seems that it is primarily used for hydra. I think that it should be
> moved to hydra source code, and fetchgit should just fetch given revision
> without any submodules etc. nix-prefetch-git in nix sources should be
> replaced by git-nix-export command that exports the current git checkout
> and
> prints fetchgit string to stdout. Any objections?

All the cleverness has not been introduced because of hydra. Hydra doesn;t
need the cleverness. So you should ask the people who have committed the
cleverness why they did, and if they still need it, which should give you a
much bigger chance of an answer then such a call-out on the mailinglist.
Btw, Hydra uses a local mirror for the dvcs support (git and mercurial)
since a few weeks.

gr,
Rob

--