[Nix-dev] Re: An interview to the fossil creator about fossil

Evgeny Egorochkin phreedom.stdin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 14:41:41 CEST 2010

On Sunday 08 August 2010 10:49:04 Lluís Batlle i Rossell wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 11:37:06AM +0400, Yury G. Kudryashov wrote:
> > Lluís Batlle i Rossell wrote:
> > > On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 03:49:13PM +0400, Michael Raskin wrote:
> > > Although Fossil comes with bug-tracking and wiki, when I sent the link
> > > it was not what I had in mind as relevant in the talk.
> > >
> > > Some of the points I like of Fossil, then:
> > > - It does not allow the kind of git history rewriting. Thus, I favour
> > > the use of
> > >
> > >   more branches with full history keeping instead of "rebase -i; push".
> >
> > You can use pull (merge, not rebase); push instead.
>
> Right. Well, I think what I meant is that in 'git' I see a much more often
> usage of private branches than what I expect to use in fossil (although it
> also allows private branches).
>
> > > Urkud talked about the linking between different projects, but I don't
> > > know what was he thinking about. Urkud, can you explain what you had in
> > > mind? Do you mean the git ability to pull from a repository *only*
> > > commits for a single branch, instead of pulling all?
> >
> > It was Evgeny (Phreedom) who was talking about linking between different
> > projects. I think that he is talking about
>
> Ah sorry. You think that he is talking about what? Or, Evgeny, what were
> you talking about? :)

Trac-like ability to create (hyper-)link between any wiki page, bug and commit
but we'd want these links to cross repo boundaries(since we already have
several) and still stay decentralized. Probably can be implemented as plugin
to ikiwiki because all you need to do in addition to trac is to mention a
project ID and have a table somewhere in the repo which lists git clone url,
wiki http url, gitweb interface url and such

--
Evgeny