[Nix-dev] Re: "live builds" proposal

Yury G. Kudryashov urkud+nix at ya.ru
Sun Aug 1 11:01:01 CEST 2010

Marc Weber wrote:

> Excerpts from Yury G. Kudryashov's message of Sun Aug 01 01:20:28 +0200
> 2010:
>> I propose the following extension to the nix language that will allow
>> native support for "live scm builds" etc.
>
> I found a nice solution to this month ago. Have a look at
> nix-repository-manager.
My aim is to have it fully integrated into nix-* commands and nix language.
I know about your repo manager.

My proposal will allow us to easily integrate "semi-impure hacks" (in the
sense that re-evaluating the same expression after a couple of days will
yield another result) into nix with easy way to disable them.

For example, we'll be able to say

exec [ "nix-update-gems" ]; import ./gems-fetched.nix;

and get the latest gems.