[Nix-dev] "live builds" proposal

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sun Aug 1 10:31:14 CEST 2010

Excerpts from Yury G. Kudryashov's message of Sun Aug 01 01:20:28 +0200 2010:
> I propose the following extension to the nix language that will allow native
> support for "live scm builds" etc.

How should it behave? run
- git pull
- hg update
- cvs update ..
- .. etc?

You want to keep state so that only incremental updates hove te be
fetched?

I found a nice solution to this month ago. Have a look at
nix-repository-manager.

It will
a) checkout sources
b) create a .tar.gz (because this is the only reliable way to trigger

How should it behave? run
- git pull
- hg update
- cvs update ..
- .. etc?

You want to keep state so that only incremental updates hove te be
fetched?

I found a nice solution to this month ago. Have a look at
nix-repository-manager.

It will
a) checkout sources
b) create a .tar.gz (because this is the only reliable way to trigger
  rebuilds. Nix does not always notice that directory contents
  changerebuilds. Nix does not always notice that directory contents
  change
c) optionally upload a snapshot to a SSH server

It will also automatically keep an update log.

It is supported by me. Example: haxeDist in all-packages.nix.

Run for a new feature. Spend the time on proposing it - wait for replies
(which don't happen on this list ..).

Or use what has been working for me for month now.

Do whatever you have to do. I want to remind you that there is an
existing solution which gets your job done.

Marc Weber