[Nix-dev] nix channels and nix expressions

Tony White tonywhite100 at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 21 16:33:17 CEST 2009

2009/9/21 Marco Maggesi <maggesi at math.unifi.it>:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to setup a nix environment on my MacBook (MacOSX 10.5.8
> Leopard).
> I compiled and installed nix successfully and I subscribed to the nix
> channels
>
> http://hydra.nixos.org/project/nixpkgs/channel/latest
> http://hydra.nixos.org/project/nix/channel/latest
>
> Everything is fine.
>
> Now, I need to add some of my packages and for this I need the nixpkgs
> expression
> corresponding to the installed packages.
> I looked inside .nix-defexpr but I noticed that the original expressions are
> no more distributed along the the channels.
>
> I suppose that this should be done via subversion, but in this way I don't
> know how
> to obtain the expressions corresponding to the latest successful build.
> Is that actually possible?
>
> Thanks,
> Marco

Hi Marco,
Can you say what package it is that is missing that you want to add to nixpkgs?
One of the ways that you can add your own software to the nixpkgs, is
to create the expression for the software in the right folder among
the nixpkgs (Need to create a new one) And you could then add an entry
for your new expression to nixpkgs/top-level/all-packages.nix (I think
that's the right spelling.)
Then it's a nix-env -i newpackagename to install it.
http://hydra.nixos.org/build/76596/download/1/manual/#chap-writing-nix-expressions
might be helpful.

If you can say what it is you want to try to add to the nixpkgs, maybe
there is a reason why it's not there or it's tricky to build?
You are best off following the example in the manual and if you get
stuck anywhere, just post back and someone will try to point you in
the right direction.
Is it an intel mac, just out of interest?

Thanks,
Tony