[Nix-dev] Re: NixOS manual: "declared by" & "defined by"

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Wed Sep 16 11:20:25 CEST 2009

Hi,

Nicolas Pierron
<nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com> writes:

> I have made some patches recently which are helpful for finding where
> you have made a mistake. In addition to the name of the option, error
> messages now have the list of files which are defining / declaring
> options depending on the type of the error.

Neat!

> $ nixos -q define services.sshd.enable
> /etc/nixos/configuration.nix

I’m not sure about the command name, but yes, that’d nice.  A ‘--manual’
option as Marc suggests would be nice too.

> I've made some modification to my manual generation which provide this
> information (see http://nbp.name/nixos/manual.html ).

It rocks!  :-)

Some nitpicking:

  * Could you remove ‘/trace/nixos’ from paths?

  * Could you remove the “defined by” line when it’s the empty list?

  * I’d prefer “used by” instead of “defined by”, and maybe even
    “defined by” instead of “declared by”.

Thanks,
Ludo’.