[Nix-dev] NixOS manual: "declared by" & "defined by"

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 18:31:45 CEST 2009

Hi Nixers,

I have made some patches recently which are helpful for finding where
you have made a mistake. In addition to the name of the option, error
messages now have the list of files which are defining / declaring
options depending on the type of the error.

Such locations are extremely useful because you know which file define
the options and which file use it.  To illustrate this, just think at
the number of time you have typed "grep" to find option declarations
or definitions.  I could easily make the location available through
option declarations and you will just have to type a small command
like:

$ nixos -q define services.sshd.enable
/etc/nixos/configuration.nix

I've made some modification to my manual generation which provide this
information (see http://nbp.name/nixos/manual.html ).

Comments & Suggestions?

--
Nicolas Pierron