[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - 17118 - viric - nixpkgs/branches/stdenv-updates/pkgs/development/libraries/gmp

Lluís Batlle viriketo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 10:55:26 CEST 2009

2009/9/15 Ludovic Courtès <ludo at gnu.org>:
> Saluton!
>
> Llus Batlle <viriketo at gmail.com> writes:
>
>>    https://svn.nixos.org/viewvc/nix?rev=17118&view=rev
>
> [...]
>
>> Fixing gmp building in Fedora's gcc
>
> [...]
>
>> +  # -fno-strict-aliasing is for a gcc 4.3.2 bug (the compiler in this debian)
>> +  CFLAGS = "-O2 -pedantic -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing";
>
> That sounds wrong to me.  If it’s needed for a bug in Fedora’s GCC, then
> conditionalize it somehow so that non-Fedora users don’t use those
> CFLAGS and provide a pointer to the exact bug report.
I left it there unintentionally... I started the bootstrap using a
hand-made boostrap-files package from fedora files. And I had to put
it to overpass that gcc bug on the flags guessed by GMP. Debian had
the same compiler, and the same problem, and that's why I wrote 'in
this debian' in the fedora commit. hehe :)

> GMP’s ‘configure’ should already choose the appropriate CFLAGS in the
> general case, so we should not try to substitute those.
They use to find gcc bugs through their code, flags and tests. :)

I will remove those cflags today.