[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - 18025 - eelco - nixpkgs/branches/xorg-7.5/pkgs/top-level

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Thu Oct 29 15:50:43 CET 2009

Hi,

Michael Raskin wrote:

> Eelco Dolstra wrote:
>> * Make GTK 2.18 the default, and get rid of the deep overrides.  (BTW,
>>   there seems to be a much cleaner solution than deepOverride, namely
>>   call all-packages.nix with an appropriate packageOverrides set.)
>
> 1. During guile-1.9 testing conversations, you have promised to
> deprecate __overrides somewhen.

__overrides is an implementation detail needed to override values in a recursive
attribute set.  If the set isn't recursive but gets its own result as a function
argument (i.e. "pkgsFun = pkgs: { ... libfoo = import foo.nix { inherit (pkgs)
dep1 dep2; }; ... }; pkgs = pkgsFun pkgs;") then you don't need __overrides.
But that's an orthogonal issue.

BTW, I removed the deepOverride calls only because they're no longer needed
since GTK 2.18 is now the default, not because I object to them per se.