[Nix-dev] pkgs/lib out of nixpkgs

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Mon Oct 5 20:55:49 CEST 2009

Hi,

Lluís Batlle wrote:

> what would you think of taking pkgs/lib out of nixpkgs, and having
> that in another place? Nixos uses that pkgs/lib for many
> non-pkg-related functions, and the latest nixos development has been
> quite linked with that of pkgs/lib.

I don't think it should be moved out of Nixpkgs, because that requires everybody
to obtain / checkout yet another source tree from somewhere.  But I do think lib
should be moved out of the pkgs subdirectory, since it doesn't make a lot of
sense to have it there (it's not a package).  The same applies to build-support,
stdenv and top-level.  I.e.:

nixpkgs
|- pkgs # should contain only actual packages
|  |- development
|  |- ...
|  +- applications
|- lib