[Nix-dev] Re: Nix 0.13pre17232 doesn't work on i386-apple-darwin9.7.0

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Thu Oct 1 15:51:15 CEST 2009

Hi Eelco,

 >> While bootstrapping the store on MacOS X, however, I had the
 >> impression that the MacOS store collides with store paths from Linux
 >> (and thus cannot be shared). Is that possible?
 >
 > No, that should not be possible. There could be issues with the fact
 > that Mac OS X is case-insensitive, but I don't see how.
 >
 > Why did you have this impression? If there was an error, can you
 > reproduce it?

Well, I rsync'ed my exiting (Linux) store to the Mac and bootstrapped Nix on
that machine (creating lots of new store paths in the process). Then I rsync'ed
the resulting store back to the Linux box. At that point, my Linux/x86_64
binaries no longer worked, apparently because some very basic libraries in the
store had been corrupted. I don't recall the paths that were involved
specifically, though. It's possible that I made a mistake somewhere, i.e. that
I corrupted the store by running rsync too early or by mixing up paths somehow.

Take care,
Peter