[Nix-dev] Re: Darwin support

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Sat Oct 3 18:09:47 CEST 2009

Hi Ludovic,

 > The rationale is to avoid triggering full rebuilds too often, to
 > save bandwidth and CPU time, and ‘stdenv-updates’ is used as a
 > staging area for full-rebuild changes.

yes, I understand the intended purpose of stdenv-updates.
Unfortunately, that branch fails to achieve its objective as a
staging area. stdenv-updates and trunk tend to diverge wildly.
Currently, both branches differ by 20,000 lines or so. What kind of
staging area is that?

I can commit my changes to stdenv-updates, but I cannot use or test
them there. In the dubious shape that branch is in, I don't want to
use it to run any of the machines I'm responsible for. I tried that
a while ago, and felt that it was thoroughly unpleasant experience.

Take care,
Peter