[Nix-dev] The `meta.maintainer' field

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Tue Jun 30 15:15:22 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 02:28:33PM +0200, Eelco Dolstra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>
> > Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> writes:
> >
> >> How should this look like?
> >>
> >> meta.maintainers = [ maintainers.marc maintainer.niksnut
> >>                      maintainers.haskell_task_force ] ?
> >
> > Yes, sounds good to me.
> >
> > However, that would mean passing `maintainers' to each function, which
> > is a pain.  A simpler way to do it would be to use raw strings with
There are workarounds: use aliases and pass them only to
stdenv.mkDerivation which resolves those aliases.
Then you could do
meta.maintainers = [ "ludo" "niksnut" ];
which would be checked on each nix-env -qa \* --outpath invokation

> > RFC822-style email addresses:
> >
> >   meta.maintainers = [ "Ludo <ludo at gnu.org>"];
>
> +1
-0.2 because you can make typos
-0.2 because you duplicate the same information over and over again?
Probably it doesn't matter cause you don't change your email address
very often, do you?
-0.2 because you can't add additional information. Eg maybe in the
future there will be a #nixos-haskell and a #nixos-php an da #nixos-ruby
etc channels.

1-0.6 = +0.4 so I guess using RFC822-style email addresses still wins?

You can still remove duplication in sub universes such as haskell / perl
etc.

Marc Weber