[Nix-dev] Re: Hydra notification emails

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Tue Jun 30 14:09:23 CEST 2009

Hello,

Eelco Dolstra <e.dolstra at tudelft.nl>
writes:

> Marc Weber wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 12:00:21PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>>> Could Hydra be changed to email, say, the last 3 committers to a given
>>> package when that package fail?  How hard is it to associate attributes
>>> (packages) with file names in the SVN repo?
>
> That's kind of tricky since there are many files that contribute to any
> particular build.  Especially the use of functions makes it hard to see which
> file "defines" a package.  (For instance, ultimately almost all derivations are
> "made" in mkDerivation stdenv/generic/default.nix.)

Right.

One way to do it would be to grep for "PACKAGE = import FILE" in
{all,perl,python}-packages.nix to determine the file associated with
PACKAGE, then run "svn log" on that file to extract the last committers.
Of course, it's hackish and won't always work, but it's better than
nothing.

> Another possibility is to have a meta.maintainer field containing the email
> address of the person to be spammed when a package breaks.

Yes, that's probably the best long-term solution from an organizational
viewpoint.  I'm happy to inaugurate this field for packages I've taken
care of.  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo'.