[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - 15878 - eelco - nixos/branches/modular-nixos/modules/installer/cd-dvd

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 17:49:28 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 17:42, Eelco Dolstra<e.dolstra at tudelft.nl> wrote:
> Nicolas Pierron wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 17:10, Eelco Dolstra<e.dolstra at tudelft.nl> wrote:
>>> Author: eelco
>>> Date: 2009-06-05 15:10:15 +0000 (Fri, 05 Jun 2009)
>>> New Revision: 15878
>>>
>>> You can view the changes in this commit at:
>>>   https://svn.nixos.org/viewvc/nix?rev=15878&view=rev
>>>
>>> Added:
>>>   nixos/branches/modular-nixos/modules/installer/cd-dvd/installation-cd.nix
>>>

>> You cannot add it in the module directory because you are setting a
>> lot of options and all modules contained in the "modules" directory
>> will be imported the next time the gen-module-list script will be
>> used.
>>
>> What I suggest you is to:
>> - create a installer-modules directory inside nixos.
>> - add a " parent-modules.nix " which only contains:
>
> Actually, this just suggests that the gen-module-list approach isn't such a good
> idea.  It seems very artificial to break up the modules/ hierarchy just because
> we don't want certain modules to be included by default and we don't have a way
> to tell the script about it.
>
> Is it really such a bother to add a single, trivial line to
> modules/module-list.nix when you add a new module?

My point is that you may want to create your own personnal list of
modules where the installer directory does not have any special
meaning.  Like an installer-modules, or a module that fit your
cluster.
I admit that this is just one special name and that this is easy to
add special cases, but this cause pain when you are not aware of it (
like the " type " attribute ) or when it is not clear.

By the way this is a module and many others may come with it, so that
the reason why I have suggested the installer-module directory.

--
Nicolas Pierron
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolasbpierron