[Nix-dev] Video Driver Name Mismatch

John Altobelli acocaracha at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 05:17:27 CET 2009

Hello everyone,

I was recently having trouble getting trouble getting my video card to
work and I noticed some possible problems with the naming convention
in nixpkgs/pkgs/servers/x11/xorg/default.nix .  I was trying to get a
newer radeonhd driver (1.2.4) installed and so I created the function
xf86videoradeonhd_124 = (stdenv.nkDerivation { etc and set the
radeonhd = {modules = [xorg.xf86videoradeonhd]; }; in the
upstart-jobs/xserver.nix .

The problem is that if I enter the knownVideoDriver as radeonhd in
configuration.nix, it goes to the radeonhd version 1.2.1 which does
not have the xf86videoradeonhd_124 naming convention.  I basically
changed the name xf86videoradeonhd to xf86videoradeonhd_121 and
xf86videoradeonhd_124 to xf86videoradeonhd and the new version works
flawlessly.  I notice that video-ati uses this naming convention, does
this mean only the oldest version can be loaded?  I would think it
should look for the newest version installed on the machine?

On a side note, is it necessary to have every video in one nix file,
eventually with all the versions this is going to give pretty big.

Thanks and if you need more explanation, please let me know,

John