[Nix-dev] Feedback / Is a contributor wanted?

Michael Raskin 7c6f434c at mail.ru
Fri Jan 2 16:49:28 CET 2009

Artyom Shalkhakov wrote:
> - if there's a REPL for Nix? I'd like to debug network-interfaces.nix
Basic answer: no
There is nix-instantiate (and --eval-only flag to it), but it is not
always comfortable to use.
> (I can connect to my home
> wireless network if I issue iwconfig/ifconfig incantations by hand,
> but I've looked at that script
> and I don't know how it might be failing)
What we use for such situations:
1. traceWhatIs in pkgs.lib.
- -- outputs the expression value when it is referred to the first time.
2. nix-build --no-out-link /etc/nixos/nixos -A ...
- -- I would use it to reevaluate only the needed part (which can be both
instantiated and built nearly instantly) without reevaluating entire
system expression

> - what is the best (easiest/most proper?) way to run wpa_supplicant:
Easiest: manually..
The most proper: submit an upstart job expression. nscd.nix seems to be
a good example of an upstart job. Do not forget to register options in
system/options.nix and to mention the job in upstart-jobs/default.nix

I didn't even contemplate using the most proper way just because I need
different settings in different places and found some sudo scripts an
easier solution than switching.

> a) using Wicd (wicd.sourceforge.net). I think that I could write an
> expression for Wicd
> (wicd.sourceforge.net), but I don't know how to add Upstart jobs to
> NixOS, which is needed
> for Wicd to function properly.
> b) is there a NetworkManager package?

I guess not.

> - how to submit patches? Is there a review process or something?
Send a patch to the mailing list. Either it is of big general interest
(and gets applied very soon) or someone with commit rights is in good
enough mood or needs it (to look at it for obvious flaws and apply) or
you can ask about it on the channel to find someone willing to apply it.
You may end up having SVN commit rights, though.

There is not much review for things that do not affect users who didn't
opt in for it. For bigger changes affecting most users it is better to
announce it on the nix-dev and #nixos, and ask if anyone has anything
against the change.