[Nix-dev] Feedback

Klaas van Schelven klaas at vanschelven.com
Fri Jan 2 11:48:50 CET 2009

Hi,

I read about Nix and NixOS via Reddit and decided it is cool & relevant. So
here's my two cents after 1-2 hours of playing around.

I've installed nixos-0.1pre12862-i686-linux.

* When first installing I thought it hung (and was getting ready to ditch
it). Reason: after showing the login prompt there's another few screens of
"garbage" (i.e.  boot feedback). Pressing enter a couple of times brings
back the prompt.

* Generating the configuration.nix automatically with the nixos-... (don't
remember the name here) tool is nice, but a few placeholders for the
mandatory grub and filesystem root options would be very welcome. I now had
to copy them from the basic configuration example.

* Documentation in general is too complicated. I need bullets. Once I
understand stuff enough I might even submit something.

* I read on the mailing list that svn head is the real stable. It would be
nice to have that documented in a more obvious place. Also: what actions do
I need to take to get my freshly installed system into a
'svn-but-really-stable' kind of state?

Hope this is useful.

regards,
Klaas