[Nix-dev] Re: Merging fix-style branch into the trunk ?

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Tue Feb 24 10:03:19 CET 2009

Hi,

Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> writes:

>> (BTW, merging this branch will blur revision history, which is
>> unpleasant.  I would recommend against using git-svn(1) for merges, and
>> so does the man page, but I guess it's too late now.)
> It's never too late. Another branch could be forked before the merge was
> done. The merge could be done by using svn. Instead of fixing the
> conflicts again you could copy over the merge result from git..
>
> However this problem will occur more often in the future ?

IMO it's pretty simple: while the main repo is SVN, *don't* use Git
merges (see Section "CAVEATS" in git-svn(1)).  If/when the repository
switches to Git, then everything Git allows is permitted, of course.

FWIW I'm all in favor of switching to Git, but I think it's up to Eelco
to decide.

Thanks,
Ludo'.