[Nix-dev] Nix as OS for normal program development

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sun Feb 15 00:12:08 CET 2009

> So, in short, I don't like the working flow I have in nix. What do you
> suggest? Can you advise something like that? I need to work in a nixos
> system, and in a debian with nix.

I don't know which is the most urgent problem to you.
At least fro some projects (such as nix) the myEnvFun wrapper found in
all-packages.nix strives to provide a nix build like environment without
having to run ni-env -iA or such.
The idea is

cd project; loadEnv mySpecialEnvSoThatICanCompileXY

However it has not been tested very much. It works fine for things like
make menuconfig (kernel).

Give it a try. I'd like to provied you with my sample setups. Ping me on
irc if you any question arises. I think this is is (could be made?) a
nix way to provide different developement environments.

Marc